Will the Switch get a "Mario Kart 9"?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Stercate79, Dec 10, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

3. No idea.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    But if its an entire separate game that can be connected with your copy of MK8, to share all the content of both games, it could be a great way of selling both 9 and making more sales on 8 Deluxe. As I said earlier:

2. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    of course there will be a "mario kart 9" on the switch mk8 deluxe was a simple way to get cash for mk8 as wiiu sales sucked

a better question would be about a play off the potential name "mario kart switch" as when read like that it gives opportunity for the return of dual riders (double dash style) or transforming vehicles (like the gliders except more in depth)

Last edited by wormdood, Dec 20, 2017
  3. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Everyone owns MK8D however. I fail to see any reason that they would decide to buy MK9 for the same system. Even worse, it might be seen as nothing more than a cheap money grab. How many people were unable to tell the difference between the Wii and Wii U? Are those same people going to care about the difference between MK8D and MK9?

And, most importantly, would we even be having this discussion if Nintendo had launched it as MK9 in the first place despite it being a port with all new stuff?

4. xm0c

xm0c Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    I really hope not. I like the one Mario Kart game per system. Plus, Mario Kart 8 just seems like the series was perfected. If they want to add new things, they can always make more DLC.

5. Futurdreamz

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    TBH coming out with Mario Kart 9 for the same system sounds like a money grab that EA would do. Some people may be used to that but I still think it's a terrible idea.

6. xm0c

xm0c Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    The way I see it is, why pay $59.99 for a game you kind of already have? I would much rather pay up to $20 for all the extra things that would have been added between 8 and the hypothetical 9. Like extra characters, new stages, new game modes, etc...

7. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    why aren't all sequels just dlc then . . . its just silly to downplay new games with new features as just extra content . . .

Prizm likes this.
  8. xm0c

xm0c Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2017
    United States
    Like I said though, Mario Kart 8 was already the pinnacle of the series. There really isn't much more they could do with the series that hasn't already been in Mario Kart 8. That's why I think they just rereleased 8 for the Switch, rather than make a whole new game.

9. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    thats a matter of opinion . . . if you took online away and focus purely on gameplay MKDD was better by far
    i see where you are coming from but its more likely mk8d was just a cash grab as i have stated (before in other threads) due to the horrid marketing (and name) of the wiiu even fanboys were confused and thought it was not its own system (and that obviously affected game sales on that console) . . . and historically nintendo hardware sales go up when a new mario kart drops . . . not to mention nintendos track record with 3rd party's making nintendo think none would jump onboard so it only makes sense to bleed mk8 although it was profitable on wiiu when compared to the boost in hardware sales on previous consoles mk8 failed or rather nintendos bad wiiu marketing failed ... it only makes sense

Last edited by wormdood, Dec 23, 2017
  10. europat

europat Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2015
    Canada
    I think Mario Kart 9 will come on an updated Switch with VR gimmick, along with Zelda VR and Super Mario VR

11. Futurdreamz

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Most of the time they should be. FIFA for example should be a one time for the base game and then each season is DLC added to that base game

12. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Well if Nintendo continues the trend of one Mario Kart per game console, then it’s not likely that there will be another Mario Kart for Switch. Granted MK8 was a remaster although you can argue that the Wii U’s failure was a reason for that.

13. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    My theory is that Nintendo has a solid pattern of releasing Mario Kart games three years apart:

Mario Kart DS - 2005
    Mario Kart Wii - 2008
    Mario Kart 7 - 2011
    Mario Kart 8 - 2014
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 2017

Notice how they've been alternating from handheld to console releases. This pattern has held true since Super Circuit. But with the Switch being a hybrid and possibly becoming a merging point for future Nintendo handhelds/consoles, Nintendo needs a new release strategy.

That's why I don't think it's far-fetched for future Nintendo consoles (given that they are also Switch-style hybrids) to maintain the three year release cycle.

Imagine we get Mario Kart 9 on Switch in 2020. Then, in 2023 assuming Nintendo's got a new console out, Mario Kart 9 Deluxe comes out for the new console before a brand new Mario Kart again in 2026.

Memoir and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  14. Futurdreamz

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada

Why do you people want a sequel so badly? It's just a kart racing game, no gimmick is going to sell more than one release per console.

15. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    4 pages of people with crystal balls. Nice.

16. Futurdreamz

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    A quick kick to the butt should shatter those.

17. LucarioSplat

LucarioSplat GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2017
    United States
    maybe around the end of switch life

18. Prizm

Prizm Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2008
    You can say that about almost any popular game series. Yet they make more because people want more. Just because you can't think up innovative ideas for a sequel, doesn't mean Nintendo can't.

How many Pokemon games came out on 3DS?

19. SoslanVanWieren

SoslanVanWieren GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2017
    Australia
    because its a wii u port so it doesn't use the switch graphic capabilities to its max

20. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    it will be called Mario Kart 10, not 9, everything else would be illogical:
    Mario Kart Wii - Windows Vista
    Mario Kart 7 - Windows 7
    Mario Kart 8 - Windows 8
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Windows 8.1
    Mario Kart 10 - Windows 10