Why the 2015 Net Neutrality Laws Were Wrong

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Termer, Dec 18, 2017.

1. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Not to mention this

2. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Until conservatives in general realize that they are racist or bigoted, the people who are "conservative" will continue to vote for them.

3. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The whole Roy Moore debacle kind of woke some people up, I think. It's just a shame it took something that drastic to turn even centrists' heads

4. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Considering a whole bunch of his voters were saying "We would have been honored if our 14 year old wanted to day a 40 year old Judge.".... No.. No it didn't.

Nightwish likes this.
  5. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Outside of Alabama I mean. And yeah, most of the people who were turned were already questioning their conservative ideals

It's a start, though

6. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Not even going to bother with how stupid the premise of this thread is, just wanted to say it's pretty adorable to think Ajit wouldn't get anything for killing net neutrality.
    I'm sure ISPs argued quite persuasively about the benefits (to his wallet) of doing such a thing. That's how the world works.

7. blackwrensniper

blackwrensniper Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    Given the election was decided by about 21,000 votes and 1.3 million votes were cast... No, I'd beg to differ. Remember this was an election that for a lot of people the choice was either an accused pedophile or an actual murderer of babies(Doug Jones is pro choice, this in no way actually makes him a murderer imo). I'd say it's more accurate to say the election didn't so much as woke people up, it just got them off their asses to vote.

Republicans fall in line, Democrats fall in love. Democrats always need a hero to follow or a villain to defeat, Republicans just need to be told to vote. Unless 2018 and 2020 give us somebody to fall in love to, expect nothing to happen anywhere even in light of all the rage online.

Last edited by blackwrensniper, Dec 20, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. ThisIsDaAccount

ThisIsDaAccount GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 8, 2016
    United States

The lack of a broadband free market is exactly why we need a net neutrality law in the first place.

Simply put, there isn't one. Try pulling up the list of broadband providers for most areas, and youll see what I mean- most have either 0 or 1. Im part of the lucky "1" group, since Comcast is the only broadband provider in my area. If Comcast starts blocking stuff, I'm not switching, cuz I don't have anyone to switch to.

If a free broadband market was a thing, I can guarantee you no one would care about the repeal. But it's not.

Also, at least speaking from my point of view, I'd prefer net neutrality enforcement under Title I, which was what we had before Verizon sued. But Verizon ruined a good thing, so that's not possible anymore. Until Congress passes a net neutrality law, we need Title II.

And if you think Ajit Pai cares about the consumer, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm gonna link you to this article about the current FCC's claim that having one provider means a market is sufficiently competitive.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ThisIsDaAccount, Dec 20, 2017
    TotalInsanity4 and Tigran like this.
  9. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    People don't (have time to) pay attention to how mental Trump and the GOP would be. Fuck, I expected there to still be some spines somewhere in the party to stop the insanity.
    And the alternative was a Goldman whore, so there was no hope for the change that was betrayed, and thus no one cared.

10. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    You forgot Trump put the same Goldman guy on his cabinet.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.