Why the 2015 Net Neutrality Laws Were Wrong

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Termer, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Termer
    OP

Termer Offensive Memelord Programmer

Apr 26, 2017
    United States
    Kekistan
    It's all hypothetical as of now. Only time will tell. I'm going to try to keep an open mind, but if I see bad stuff happening, I will call for net neutrality again. This has been a good and enlightening debate.

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    We have an unqualified man for president and a credibly accused child molester lost a Senate seat by 1% of the vote

WeedZ likes this.
  3. blackwrensniper

blackwrensniper Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    I got you fam, 2018 and 2020 Blue Wave. Lotsa damage done before then but hopefully it'll be reversed quickly.

Last edited by blackwrensniper, Dec 18, 2017
  4. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    But bad stuff was happening, and many law suits were happening, which is why we even went to Title 2 in the first place. So its not all hypothetical.
    Many IPS's have broken NN rules multiple times thoughout the years prior to 2015.

WeedZ likes this.
  5. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I hope so. There's no reason to wait and see. We're reverting back to the old policy. We've seen what they do. Ever hear the old proverb "those that don't learn from the past.." or "trying the same thing expecting different results.."? I feel like it's common sense that we don't go back to when startup companies were being crushed by isp's, what's the payoff? Where's the why? I want my why

Quantumcat and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    The problem is you are not clear with examples. You keep saying the government will have control and censor. But no clear examples. And you cutting this off so quick would be hard to get what you mean.

But as I said in my second post, government can't censor. Since the Internet does not go through them. Everything does not go through the FCC. They only say you can't block or throttle. Its discussed in the 2015 Title 2 document. The whole reason why people are for the repeal is because of an assumption that government has power to control and censor, but they don't. If a website is blocked then would be against the NN rules. ISP's are the ones doing blocking and censoring, that was happening under title 1. So you would rather let IPS's have power to block then have the government block (which government have no power to block under title 2 anyway.)

Not only that but your also saying that its hypotheticals of what ISP's will do. But what your saying of what the government will do is also a hypothetical. The difference is ISP's breaking NN actually happened. And government are prevented from doing those hypotheticals as outlined in the 2015 document.

Last edited by SG854, Dec 18, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  7. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    In your fantasy world, the government can't censor anything secretly under Title I? That's... a mindset.

8. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    I just remembered that in Switzerland, we had a situation 17 years ago where a telecom company (Swisscom), which had a deal with the government (basically they participated in the development of telecommunication network in the whole country), was in a complete monopoly situation. There was like 2 other mobile operators, but since the first operator pretty much owned part of the network, they made sure that they had the best coverage and speed,eand they also made sure that they were the only ISP, even if it wasn't allowed by the government. And without the government's regulations we would be in the same situation. But on another hand, all the other ISP still have crappy speeds, because they can't afford the infrastructure. So we have a choice, but only if you don't care about speed or after sales service... My advice : let's see what happens, because both situations can be crappy.

9. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    u are wrong
    and i'm nut
    done

10. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yeah I pay $59AUD (45.33USD) for unlimited on ADSL2+. What do people pay there?

11. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Great!
    And so, answer to the question?

12. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Oct 16, 2013
    Portugal
    And yet, the undesirable content is going away at the hands of corporations who merge content with distribution. Youtube is a fucking mess this days, for one, with shit disappearing every day (even old shit) because some algorithm said so and was completely wrong.

13. blackwrensniper

blackwrensniper Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-replace-some-but-not-all-of-the-fccs-rules/

Oh look, SOPA/PIPA style legislation has appeared.

tl;dr This allows for paid prioritization, prevents further classification under title 2 and tries to kill off individual states rights to enforce their own net neutrality.

“prohibit blocking of lawful content, applications, services, and non-harmful devices, [and] prohibit impairment or degradation of lawful Internet traffic.”

This is also worded in such a way it can kill Youtube or Twitch in a heartbeat, even Google really.

WeedZ likes this.
  14. McWhiters9511

McWhiters9511 That's Rad Bro

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    doesnt mean that we all like it

15. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I know, I'm just saying that clearly roughly half of our population are either idiots or sympathize with idiots

16. McWhiters9511

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    and its freaking hilarious imo
    ok and what percent of america doesnt vote i bet changing that could make for some really interesting future elections

Last edited by McWhiters9511, Dec 20, 2017
  17. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeeeeeaaaaaah...

Right up until it directly affects your life

18. McWhiters9511

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Space
    mhm. its a pain for a president to do much of anything especially when most of his cabinet hates him lol so im not very worried

19. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States

What about the ones who are unable to vote because of voter suppression? Took me 3 and half hours to get my "Voter" ID last time because no one... and I mean no one.. knew how to get me one, and even told me I had to pay for a normal ID didn't get a free ID. When I pointed out the regulation on my phone, they then whined that if I had a phone... I should be able to pay for an ID. Told them it didn't matter... I was un-employed and could not pay for state ID and I am required by law to be given a free ID. I shudder to think how many people walked out when they were told they had to pay for regular ID.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They are in the middle of passing a bill that gives him a huge tax cut and increases the taxes of the middle/low class...

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  20. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    They seem to be having a field day on kicking us while we are down. There are so many people that needs to be voted out or leave their position.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.