USA: are you better off than a year ago?

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Costello, Jan 11, 2018.

?
  1. Yes (explain why)

23 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. No (explain why)

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Not better, not worse (explain why)

16 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. I'm not a US citizen but I want to vote in the poll anyway

45 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    It's been nearly a year since Trump took office.
    What has changed for you this year? Are you better off than a year ago?
    Or worse? Either way, I'd be curious to hear it.

Please stay civil and dont break the rules, thanks.

2. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2014
    Germany
    As a non-US citizen I won't participate in the poll, but I can proudly say that I feel better than a year ago.
    Before I was like "Hell no, we're all getting nuked."
    Now I'm more like "Wow, we didn't get nuked, yet."

3. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    As I said before Trump became president.. This presidency will force both sides to reevaluate their positions on all matters. His presidency has mobilized people to protest or become more active in politics. The sexual assault accusations have pushed victims to come out. Russia's involvement in this election has opened people's eyes to propaganda tactics and manipulation of social media platforms. America is going through an immune response and we will eventually come out on the other side feeling refreshed. As a citizen, I can't say that his actions have begun to affect me. As I live in a fairly democratic state (California) and ironically California is dismissing the federal government and propositioning increased state powers/state involvement.

4. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    More or less the same. I mean the left and right are the same jackass they have always been. Feminism is still cancer and there is no wall.

weatMod and TerribleTy27 like this.
  5. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    I voted no because I feel that President Trumps tenure is potentially leading to a war. Civil, nuclear, and/or world. He’s quite inflammatory and has seemed dangerously undiplomatic at times. Hence the notion of war leads me to vote no, I do not feel better off.

On the other side, I feel as if jobs are plentiful and people are more engaged in the political scene, however that could be a negative as people like to believe ridiculous shit if it fits their agenda, Pizzagate being a great example.

WeedZ and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  6. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    Sometimes I forget Trump exists. I can't multitask and have multiple people and things on my mind.
    When i'm focusing on a particular issue or thing, all else gets ignored, so I can focus my attention better at that one thing at a time.
    So far Trump hasn't done anything that affected me at all, which is why he's not always on my mind, and I sometimes forget his existence.

CuriousTommy and Xanthe like this.
  7. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Nothing major has changed. I got my job back shortly after he entered office, but I feel that's unrelated. I'm trying to watch and read his plans and actions. It's difficult when everything is hidden under the guise of political madness. I don't believe the US is as bad off as the vocal few love to proclaim. I DO however think Trump talks too much..

brickmii82 and CallmeBerto like this.
  8. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I enjoy his presidency.

Not to say I agree or disagree with his political viewpoints, but his presidency has been so hilarious and interesting that I can't help but kinda have fun watching the madness. Whether it's the news channels tripping over themselves and reporting news about Trump that's blatantly incorrect, to crazy right wingers raving with their tinfoil hats. We are seeing some of the most ridiculous insanity in American history and that's definitely come to light since his candidacy.

9. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Nothing has changed. Most of the time local government will cause changes, not Presidency. The only thing that changed for me, is my city's corrupt gov implementing a sugar tax, and making things with sugar cost an arm and a leg.

10. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I have a grill with removable plates now, so I suppose I'm better. Apart from that, not much has changed.

Costello and CallmeBerto like this.
  11. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeah, agreed

brickmii82 likes this.
  12. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I feel that, as a whole, we are worse off. Not necessarily because we have trump in office. But because our political structure has become so toxic that it's even possible for people like Clinton and Trump to be considered for office.

Personally I try to avoid issues of politics, especially presidential. I feel that most politicians work for their own interests. But what I feel is most damaging is what the political debates have done to people over the course of the last few presidencies.

The right and left have become cults. No one even cares what these parties stand for anymore, they've just drawn a line in the sand and chuck rocks at each other. Liberals have come to want censorship and conservatives have become the irl version of Internet trolls. It's fucked. People don't even know what they're argueing anymore, they just want their side to win.

Which I guess is the point of politics. Keep the stupid sheep distracted with nonsense while the criminals exploit the foundation of their society for money.

13. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three female furries
    from what I've seen at news, Trump almost wants to ruin Canada's economy
    So no, I don't like Trump too much :angry:

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not really. Still in debt, still despise politics, move along.

WeedZ likes this.
  15. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    OPRAH FOR PRESIDENT

16. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    I'm a citizen and thankfully nothing has changed for me, hopefully it'll stay that way or at least something would change for the better

17. CallmeBerto

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA

The funny thing is you are right politics really took a shit during the Obama period (not blaming him I just noticed it there the most) I was maybe 16 at the time he took office and during his second run I saw people go bat shit crazy over him. It was a real shock for me since I was apart od the debate team at my school and I never saw the level of hysteria on display.

Left or right doesn't matter most people use their emotions to make judgement that should be based only on facts anyways. universal suffrage was a mistake.

WeedZ likes this.
  18. Noctosphere

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    according to this french news article, Trump is conviced hell beat Oprah if she becomes candidate for 2020

19. CallmeBerto

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    The left gave Trump shit for being a "talk show host" but now the left wants a "talk show host" to run?

Like for real and shit?

I mean I personally don't care I just want to know where she stands on topics XYZ

brickmii82, Xanthe and WeedZ like this.
  20. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    No thanks, I'll pass. We don't need celebrities.