Uninstalling CFW and Re-Installing

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by warren_briones, Oct 12, 2017.

1. warren_briones
    OP

warren_briones Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Saudi Arabia
    My CFW N3DSXL is now at Sys 11.6. If i uninstall the CFW by following the instructions on the 3DS.Guide, will it go back to its original OFW version on the day that i soundhax-ed it (Ver 11.2)? Or it will also be on Ver 11.6?

I want to know coz if I decide to make it CFW again, I want to know which route, SOUNDHAX or the NTRBOOTHAX way.

2. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    It will be 11.6 ofw, but you really shouldn't uninstall cfw. There's no reason to do that.

Quantumcat and Porobu like this.
  3. ThoD

ThoD GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    It will go back to whichever version you had when you made the NAND backup before installing CFW, so 11.2.

EDIT: Assuming you want a total revert and restore the NAND.

4. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    He was talking about the guide in 3ds.guide and that'll not restore a nand backup

5. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    i also want to uninstall my CFW just to try NTRboot, all my 3DSs already hacked

maybe this is the only other reason to uninstall CFW beside selling it.

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    You don't need to uninstall cfw to see if it works.
    It will boot ntrboot.firm if it was successful, boot.firm if it wasn't successful.

So just rename something other than luma3ds to ntrboot.firm and check to see if it boots.

7. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    or flash something that isn't b9s, like godmode9. if your card's flash is big enough for it.

8. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    ihaveamac likes this.
  9. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    Neither of those are valid reasons. Ntrboot works even if you already have cfw and you can get more of a hacked console than a official one.

10. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    you can't sell modded console on ebay.

11. warren_briones
    OP

warren_briones Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Saudi Arabia
    That or either you are just too bored and got nothing to do and doing it just satisfies your need to hack something :)

aos10 likes this.
  12. ThoD

ThoD GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    It's not really hacking, or hardly, it's just copy pasting a file or two and booting the device for the most part. But I agree, if you already have CFW and want to uninstall it just to reinstall it you really should find something more constructive to do.:P

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  13. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    [​IMG]

ThoD likes this.
  14. warren_briones
    OP

warren_briones Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2017
    Saudi Arabia
    I'm kidding man, I really just wanted to know if it goes back to the OFW version on the day that i "copy pasted a file or two and booted the device"

15. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    You can if you're a little creative with the wording.

16. Kazuma77

Kazuma77 GBAtemp Maniac

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Well, I don't go to that site much anymore. Last I checked, it was still using uncompiled scripts for the install process instead of SSRs, and the only firm it installed was B9S (no GM9 option). Does it have you restore a NAND backup? If yes, you will be on whatever version that backup was on. If no, and it only has you run d0k3's script for returning to retail, then it will be on what it is on. Roughly 99% of your system is on retail 11.6 right now. All that script is going to do is make it 100% by overwriting your firm partitions that currently contain B9S with whatever version of NATIVE_FIRM is on your CTRNAND partition. If you're running 11.6, that would be 11.6. There is no 11.2 on your NAND for it to restore if it wanted to (as of you updating, it's gone). Only restoring a NAND backup or manually downgrading using something like SysUpdater with update files grabbed via something like 3DNUS will lower your system version. Hope that explanation helps.

I wouldn't recommend doing this for no reason. I've done it quite a bit recently, but I was working on install scripts for an AIO that encompasses installation and customization. I needed to make sure they work correctly on various firmware versions and won't brick a device. It would be irresponsible to release something like that untested, after all. Especially with me having both a hard mod and NTRBootHax. I've got no excuses, being setup like that. I've not bricked my system once while doing all of these tests, but however small the risk, it is there. I would not advise taking it needlessly.

Last edited by Kazuma77, Oct 12, 2017
  17. Uumas

Uumas GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 17, 2016
    Finland
    Or CTRTransfer

18. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I would like to mention that if there are any modified files on the NAND, it will result in a brick if you remove the CFW. Which will require either a hardmod or a flashcart with NTRBoot installed in order to fix.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Oct 12, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  19. YoshiB

YoshiB GBATemp's resident large-eared yoshi

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure that's legal. It's putting pirated content on the system that's not.

edit accidentally posted before I finished typing

20. mrjoshuaco

mrjoshuaco Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Their intent seemed pretty clear, they don't need a "valid" reason to do it. They've been warned already - answer the question or don't. I know I recently virginized my spare testing O3DS and re-ran the guide again so I was up to date on existing methods.

Legal? Arguably, yes. However, legality isn't the issue, Terms of Service are, and this a very clear violation of them. Specifically, the "encouraging infringement policy". Now, from a pragmatic sense, are they likely to remove it? It's hit or miss, and rarely enforced for many products - just look at the PSP listings for example. That said, I've seen a higher rate of enforcement on Nintendo's products - you can probably guess why.