How do you make friends?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Dec 12, 2017.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I would say over 90% of people end up having "no friends", or meeting their "friends" once every several years, just as a side effect of growing up, each one going their ways, etc. In the end the best thing you have is "work colleages". Sad.

WeedZ, slaphappygamer and Cyan like this.
  2. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Psionic Roshambo likes this.
  4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    so true.
    even if you have friends while being adult, you often end losing them for no known reason. just not getting in contact anymore for a certain time period and it's too late. it happens before you even realize it, then each side don't dare make the first step anymore. "it's been too long, it would be weird, that person is maybe angry and don't want to talk to me I don't know why" etc.
    I'm sure both sides are wondering and fearing the same things. Stupid humans we are...

Last edited by Cyan, Dec 21, 2017
  5. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    Usually people loose friends when they get married and start a family. And then after the wife complains to her husband, "I don't have any friends because we don't socialize anymore, we never go out. Why don't we socialize, I want friends."

6. MockyLock

MockyLock GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    France
    To make friends, just have money and beer.
    So, if it doesn't work, you don't need them anyway.

Last edited by MockyLock, Dec 22, 2017
  7. YoshiB

YoshiB GBATemp resident

Mar 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    I take my hobbies into regular life sometimes. If somebody happens to see me doing something they find interesting, then we end up talking.

eg, I hack a 3DS and people are curious about it

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. EddieEddie90

EddieEddie90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2016
    Mexico
    I don't even know how is that i have made friends over the past 8 years of my life. I'm just too socially awkward and don't know what to talk about most of the time.

9. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Group assignments gone well can build friendships. Group assignments gone badly can break friendships.

10. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I only have 2 friends I even talk to. After HS a lot of them moved to other cities or joined the military or went off to college. Just a part of growing up. This wouldn't be a big deal as you could make new ones the problem is I find that most gamers are introverts (am as well) so we have difficulties just starting a random conversations with random people. I envy those people tbh.

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. SG854

SG854 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    Friends are the easiest thing in the world to make.

12. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    join a cult

that's how most people make friends now days....just make sure you regurgitate all their BS to everyone else, don't get caught thinking out of line :P

ThoD and CallmeBerto like this.
  13. 330

330 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2017
    Antarctica
    Comfy nest
  14. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Here's one suggestion for making friends with gamers in college. I haven't field tested this yet.

Bring your Switch, Mario Kart and two pro controllers with you. Play it at a place where other people are around. Use one pro controller yourself and leave the other sitting on the table. If anyone asks why there's a second controller on the table say "my friend is running late, do you want to play for a while?"

The results are going to vary depending on how compatible the two of you are and your charisma (or your lack of it) are but I'll give it a shot when classes start later this year.

Quantumcat likes this.
  15. Bubsy Bobcat

Bubsy Bobcat sipp

Jul 8, 2015
    Zimbabwe
    Online. I don't have any real life friends since I worry that I'm a pain to people or that I'm being rude in some way.

ThoD likes this.
  16. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    I don't always make friends, but when I do is because they started talking to me.
    Either that or because we were forced to be together.

I dont like people that much.
    I dont like to get involved in someone else's life, nor want them involved in mine.
    I dont like to waste time in a supposed friendship that at the end, it's doomed to be done sooner or later. If this happens, I would hate myself, because I'd obviously get emotionally attached to that person, so not having him/her in my life would just suck and it'll put me depressed from time to time.

I like to avoid all these emotionall and psychological bounds with people. Ultimately, we are all going to die. So, there's no use.

Aside of that, I've been very lucky when meeting women, so I'm more insterested in meeting them instead of males.
    Actually, the vast majority of my "friends" are women.
    On that matter, I've found something quite interesting... most of my friends are over 40.
    I'm just 24 years old, and I've knew some of them since 2010, when I started using the Internet much more often than before.

Perhaps, this is why I tend to be aggressive towards people, specially ignorant people. I hate ignorant people... like, intellectually ignorant and overall average in manners and intelligence... i can't take them.

The kind of people I like to meet are... interesting people.
    Intellectual people, someone whom I could talk about existentialism, quantum physics, maths, life, love, our interests, our goals, death, our fears... and whatnot.

Last edited by Gizametalman, Jan 16, 2018 at 6:21 AM
  17. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Except that while it is active, you can help each other. And your life will be better.

VinsCool likes this.
  18. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Be an asshole.

19. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I was gonna object, then I realized I'm friends with you, so...

Dick it, juicebox.

VinsCool and DarthDub like this.
  20. Gizametalman

Gizametalman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2015
    Mexico
    D.F. - Zona Cero.
    You're right. Sadly, I'm the one who'd give everything in exchange of nothing. Sometimes I can tolerate that, other times I'm not in the mood of helping people just because of this little problem.