Dark Souls is coming to the Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Jan 11, 2018.

1. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Thank you Nintendo, this is a beautiful thing. You invited From Software. Good thinking!

Memoir likes this.
  2. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    ...why do people think they'd port some ps3/360 version rather than the one that's eventually coming to ps4/one/pc? I mean, I know it's a way to say it's an under-powered version...but it really doesn't make much sense. it's most definitely the same version, just reduced some of the fancier effects. I don't understand the intentional ignorance just to slight a nintendo product.

k-key likes this.
  3. AkitoUF

AkitoUF Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Oh you poor innocent child...

Lukerz and Piebe like this.
  4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Sadly.. The Dark Souls Trilogy releases in Japan on May 24th for PS4 only. Dark Souls Remastered releases the same day for PS4, XBOX One, and N Switch (and on May 25th in the US.)

osaka35 likes this.
  5. Polopop123

Polopop123 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2017
    Ireland
    The whole PS4 launch line up were shitty ports also except for Kback which was shit also. The first year of a console isn’t its best, and considering the great games the Switch has seen on its first year, it’s doing way better than other consoles did

THEELEMENTKH, osaka35 and Memoir like this.
  6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    There's some truth. I guess I'm just tired of backporting in general. Not even on the Switch specifically.

7. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm quite anti-ports normally but this is one title i am VERY happy got ported.

*crosses fingers for Kh3*

8. Piebe

Piebe GBAtemp Regular

Aug 27, 2010
    Netherlands
    No i wouldn't say M64 is better than Odyssey, but Banjo Kazooie, OOT and MM absolutely are. And how much fun was Waveracer? The N64 invented most of the concepts later games thrived on. The graphics got better, but the originality was kept behind. Mario Odyssey lacks the real Mario vibe that Galaxy had. But M64 isn't better, i would even say it is one of the badder games on the N64 in my book.

Last edited by Piebe, Jan 11, 2018
  9. osaka35

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    The big thing is the move to HD from SD, and widescreen. Really, it's the same as buying movies on bluray that you watched on vhs or fullscreen dvd. You're just buying the same frikin' movie, but there's reasons to upgrade. I'm fine with ports as long as there's enough of an improvement. This one seems like a great one, and since I never played any of these games before, it's a buy from me.

Last edited by osaka35, Jan 11, 2018
  10. Bernhard

Bernhard Psycho

May 2, 2016
    United States
    NICE
    now my life has sense again

11. xpoverzion

xpoverzion GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2017
    United States
    Awesome! Coming to the switch... Another game from 6 years ago that I already own on a previous console. Nintendo needs to focus their efforts and resources in developing new, original titles for their flagship console. This is precisely the reason why I haven't been able to justify buying a switch.

12. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    They apparenlty will use the DS3 engine.

13. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Wait, there is a trilogy? Why would they do it this way? Why not put it on all consoles? Why not release it outside Japan? Why put in it in such an expensive collection as the only option?

Honestly, I probably know what the reason is, but this just seems so convoluted.

14. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Yes let's blame Nintendo for from rereleasing dks1 on switch in addition to pc, ps4 and xbone. Nintendo should have just told them "nope, new games only, our fans don't want dark souls"

defkyle likes this.
  15. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I hope they put Demons Souls on this.

16. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    There's always individualistic people who believe that if they don't need/like/want these ports, then automatically a company is scamming everyone for even offering them.

You can't reallistically produce 30 super bulldozers a year. Nintendo released quite a few new games last year, along with... yes. Ports. They're doing the same now, with 2 new games coming out the first half of the year and 3 announced for later (pikmin, bayo 3 and metroid).

These games will sell as usual regardless of how salty these people get. Who cares, part of these people will just pirate them anyway.

Last edited by deinonychus71, Jan 11, 2018
    chartube12 and Memoir like this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That was a rumor, and was clarified and found to be untrue. If they even used the DS3 engine it wouldn't be a remaster at that point, it'd be a remake, because DS3 playstyle is vastly different from DS1.

Demon's Souls (and Bloodborne) is owned by Sony, so unless Sony has a change of heart or someone buys the IP off them, you'll never see it on a non-Sony console.

18. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Dark Souls 1, 2, & 3 was confirmed for Switch today.

19. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    New York
    im not sure what the deal is with this game... could someone explain it

20. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    It's not necessarily bad news, it means they ported DS1 engine to newer systems.
    Demon Souls using the same engine, there's little reason for Sony not to port it to PS4, since part of the work is done already.