1. PoppaDre
    OP

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    I recently upgraded my gaming rig from an i5-760 with an HD5770 and 8GB ram to a SFF DELL Optiplex 9010 with an i5-3570 and a GTX 1050 Ti with 16GB ram. Will i see a big improvement in processing, mostly looking at gaming by upgrading to a newer processor, namely the i7-8700K?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yes, the performance gap would be very noticeable. It would be up to you to justify the price difference, though, especially since your GPU would become a bottleneck

3. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    I say keep the Ivy bridge for now. Wait for the 9th or 10th generation to see where Intel actually goes.
    Still don't trust them as my i3 6100 isn't compatible with the 8th gen's mobo even though they kinda have the same socket.
    Nevertheless, if you MUST upgrade, invest in an i5 and a better graphics card than the 1050ti, which will definitely be the bottleneck.

PoppaDre and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    Your not going to see big improvements in gaming upgrading your i5 to an i7, at least not for a few year untill games get really optimized to use more than 4 cores, and hyper threading, and since your using an SFF that 1050ti is going to be the best thing you could put in it for now. It's not a bad setup by current standards, and should be good for a while, I wouldn't really consider upgrading it unless you plan on doing a whole new build.

PoppaDre likes this.
  5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It's an Ivy Bridge i5 to a Coffee Lake i7 my dude

6. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    You'd have to toss your motherboard and RAM to upgrade to an 8700k. That's assuming that the SFF case doesn't use some custom-sized board or power supply.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  7. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    Well he's not putting that i7 in his sff, that's for sure, and even so the performance gains are simply not going to be there becuase most PC games are not optimized for hyperthreading.

Last edited by TheRealNGB, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:14 PM
    TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
  9. PoppaDre
    OP

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks for the input guys. Yeah it would have to be a whole new build. Started out a pcpartspicker part list. But so far I haven't had issues playing games with my SFF set up currently. I also have an XBOX One I play on. So I am thinking the PC upgrade isn't really a priority now.

raystriker likes this.